- Phonetic and high frequency word practice improves accuracy
- Controlled short phrases with taught word patterns and High Frequency / Sight words are practiced with connected text.
- Longer phrases, presented in meaningful chunks to develop prosody, contain both taught and untaught elements.
- To further develop phrasing and expression, students practice a phrased version of a story and then read the un-phrased passage.
- Practice with enriched and decodable passages enhances listening
and reading comprehension and vocabulary.
- Non-controlled decodable passages in the Basic Reader help students begin to transfer their emerging decoding skills to reading authentic
text with support and with success.
- Laminated Tally Sheets and Student Recording Forms make it easy
to monitor student progress.
- Students graph their progress in their own Student Fluency Readers.
Materials for Implementation
Wilson Fluency / Basic can supplement any reading program which introduces short vowels in words with progressively more challenging patterns. It is appropriate to use with the Wilson Reading System®, Just Words®, and Fundations®.
The Basic Kit contains the following items:
Instructor materials come in a durable 3-ring binder for convenient use in small group or 1:1 lessons.
- Instructor Guide
- Enriched Passages
- High frequency Word Card Sheets
- Blank Word Card Laminated Sheets
- Laminated Tally Sheets for each Fluency Reader
Student Record Pack
Students’ progress is charted by instructor in individual record books, corresponding to each passage.
- Student Record Books (6 in a binder)
Student Fluency Readers
Each Fluency Reader contains 5 stories with corresponding word lists, phrases, and phrased and un-phrased passages. Fluency Readers 1-3 correspond to WRS Steps 1-3, and the Basic Reader includes additional decodable stories that correspond to an enriched passage.
- Fluency Basic / Reader 1
- Fluency Basic / Reader 2
- Fluency Basic / Reader 3
- Fluency Basic / Reader
Each kit contains a set of Readers to accommodate six students.
|Shop for Wilson Fluency Materials on